CID is the abbreviation of Crime Investigation Department. This post is one of the most privileged ones in the police organization. When a candidate starts working within this department, they are called the CID officers or the detectives. So, if anyone is interested in the question of how to become a CID officer, keep reading further as by giving a read below, you will be able to collect all the information & strategy before you proceed with the preparation. Apart from the same, all you need is to remain hard working as well as disciplined for cracking the entrance exam and to get the desired position within the department.
However, before we proceed further, it is important to know about being a CID officer. Know that, it is one of the most demanding jobs in India amidst the youth. So, if you are willing to have a career that will provide the people justice, being a CID officer is a choice to make; after all, it is all about city crimes as per the Government of India Act. Any of the cases that have been assigned to the CID officer by the Government of India can only be looked into by the officer. Definitely, the CID officers have problem-solving qualities, decision-making skills, and they analyze the case briefly for investigation and gathering of the evidence. This is why they are provided with some complex cases, which include fraud, rapes, riots and even murder. Their job is to maintain the report of all of the cases, look into autopsies, ensure their cooperation with another department for solving their queries, etc.
Some other departments where the CID officer can get posted for working with the detectives are,
- Anti-human trafficking
- Dog squad
- Bank frauds
- Missing person bureau
- Crime inspection, etc.
Considering all of the above, this article has been prepared to provide complete information about how to apply for CID officer, what are the educational qualifications requirement, eligibility criteria and much more. Give a read ahead to know more.
How To Join CID in India?
To become a CID officer, you will be required to crack CSE or Civil Services Exam conducted by UPSC or Union Public Services Commission. In order to become a CID officer directly, one can join the police force, then pass the internal examination and apply for the post. For cracking UPSC, graduation in criminology, it will be an add-on benefit.
CID Officer- Eligibility Criteria
- Citizenship- the candidate is required to be a citizen of India.
- Sex- males and females are eligible.
- Age limit- minimum 20 years and Maximum 27 years in case of general category. Relaxation has been provided to different caste categories for max-age, like max-age for OBC is 32 years and for SC/ST is 30 years.
- Qualification- candidate must have a bachelor’s degree from Authorized University. Some Universities also offer criminal justice and graduation level criminology for getting enrolled in the course of CID.
- Physical criteria- aspirants are required to have the following,
- Distant vision of 6/8 and 6/9 (either eyesight) and Near vision 0.6 and 0.8 (either eyesight).
- Height for females should be 150 cm, and for males, it should be 165 cm. 5cm relaxation is provided for hill men and the tribal.
- Chest- 76cm inflated for female and male candidates.
How To Join CID?- Essential Skills
- Candidates must have a good team spirit to make it convenient for others to work in the team.
- All must have good communication.
- Candidates must be great at current affairs/GK.
CID Officer- No. of Attempts
- General category- 4
- OBC- 7
- SC/ST- no limit
CID Officer- Entrance examination
There are 2 exams held for getting enrolled as the CID officer. One can choose either of the below-mentioned, clear it and take a step towards dreams fulfillment.
- Indian Civil Services Exam- UPSC
- SSC CGL exams
How To Become CID Officer? – 2 Ways
After cracking an internal examination, any of the police force candidates can join CID. This is the direct way. For the indirect way, one can crack Union Public Commission Entrance Exam or UPSC. Just remember, this exam is very difficult, and the competition is high. One will be required to work hard to clear it.
In order to become a CID officer through the direct way after joining the police force, anyone can apply for internal examination, crack the same and get that position. Be it, Hawaldar, an Assistant police officer, anyone can make an application for such an exam and join the department. If this doesn’t seem suitable, there is always the option of giving UPSC.
UPSC- What Is It About?
This is all India service examination which is conducted in three stages including,
- Preliminary examination or CSAT test- the 2 papers (objective),
- Main exam- 9 papers (subjective) and
- After the above said 2 phases are cleared, the candidate is eligible for the interview process.
This exam is conducted by the Authorized body called Union Public Service Commission, and this is a national level exam.
1. Preliminary Examination
2 exams are conducted in here, and every paper carries 200 marks (1st paper has 100 and 2nd paper has 80 questions). Question papers are available in two languages, including Hindi and English, and they are to be completed in 2 hrs each. The examination also has negative marking, i.e., for wrong answers, one will get negative marks 0.33. The paper herein is objective type and has multiple choice questions in it.
Paper 1 comprises of,
- General Science
- Current Events
- World geography
- Economic development
- Social development
- Indian geography
- Indian history
- General issues
Paper 2 comprises of,
- English skills and comprehension
- Language skills are chosen by the candidate
- Communication skills
- Intrapersonal skills
- Decision-making skills
- Basic numeracy
- Problem-solving skills
- Mental ability
2. Mains Examination
After preliminary Examination qualification, candidates will be eligible for the 2nd round. The mains exam, it is conducted in January. It is after this that the candidates remain eligible for the interview process. These papers have descriptive questions, and each of these papers is of 250 marks and is to be completed within 3 hrs of time.
Essay- On any topic
General studies 1
- Indian heritage
General studies 2
- Social justice
General studies 3
- Disaster management
General studies 4
Optional subject 1 and subject 2- Any
Indian language (any language)
Candidates qualified for an interview, your personal skills, subject knowledge, mental ability, etc., will all get tested. After the interview is cleared, the candidate will be qualified for becoming NIA Officer, who will be provided training and, after that, posted as per the requirements.
If you are worried about how to apply for CID officer, know that you can easily join CID but only after clearing UPSC and if there is any vacancy within the CID department at that time, then only one will be able to join. Furthermore, do not forget that this exam is very tough, and it’s difficult to crack it. Probably this is why the candidates, they choose SSC SGL over UPSC exams for joining NIA.
Study Material & Books
For becoming a CID officer, one can follow the below-mentioned books. The list includes,
- Reasoning- B.S. Sijwali and Indu Sijwali
- General knowledge- Lucent publication
- Quick learning objective Genera English- R.S Aggarwal
- Verbal and non-verbal reasoning- S. Chand
CID Officers- Selection Process
This process is quite easy, and at first, one will need to begin with the written test. Once done, candidates can take the physical test, after which follows the interview process for getting selected as the CID officer. So, there are 3 steps for selection, written exam, physical test and interview process.
CID Officers- Roles and Responsibilities
Well, your question shouldn’t always be how to join CID, but instead, it should also ask for the roles and responsibilities which the officer has to play. Considering it, the below-mentioned will help learn about it. Like,
- They should look into criminal cases, gather evidence, maintain report and investigate witnesses.
- Matters assigned to the Government of India, is to be investigated by CID officers.
- Handle other concerns, including solving of complex and complicated cases including fraud, assault, rape riots, etc.
- Handle other concerning sections, including fingerprints, science investigation, human trafficking, etc.
- Must be smart and work intelligently for making decisions during criminal cases.
- Must follow the rules/regulations for proceeding with the case and while presenting it in the court of law.
CID Officers- Job Roles
- Collect complaints and queries statements
- Do research within the case
- Analyze facts and evidence pieces
- Get witness confessions
- Keep a check over illegal drugs case and the widespread of them.
- Maintain reports & other evidence, everything related to the case.
- Check over case reports
- Understanding criminal behavior too.
- Write complaints
- Interaction with family/other witnesses
- Gather evidence
- Look into the safety of surrounding members/family members.
- Look into actions for the maintenance of details of the case.
- Help lawyers for maintaining motions and the pleadings
- Look into the matter of how crime commitment was done?
- Collect evidence for solving cases
- Also called to court for briefing investigations conducted by them.
CID Officers – Status
- Assistant under inspector or sub-inspector
- Under inspector or sub-inspector
- Police officer
- Additional director general of police in police forces who heads CID.
For all the above-mentioned posts, the scope exists within the government sector and the other agencies including, federal, local and state. Some top recruiting companies names are,
- Government of India
- Drug enforcement agency or DEA
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or ATF
CID officers- Salary
- Police officer- Initially, it’s 176171; for an intermediary, it’s 325950, and final, it is INR 786880.
- Fraud investigator- Initially, it’s 256081; for an intermediary, it’s 351353 and final, it is INR 1173760.
- Paralegal- Initially, it’s 223820; for an intermediary, it’s 511110 and final, it is INR 712790.
CID Courses- Best colleges
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
- Government law college, Mumbai
- Law College, Dhanbad
- Gujarat national law University, Gandhinagar, etc.
Hope you where are able to get all the information about how to become a CID officer. We made sure to cover a detailed guide about the CID officer, and of course, you might have some more queries in regards to the topic, so connect either on to the official website or you can reach out to us through the comment section. Just make sure that you get through the article properly before making an application.