There are many government jobs that have a direct impact on the lives of common people. Such government officials do their duties to keep society healthy and fit. They keep a check on the vendors and food sellers to ensure the quality of food. If you still can’t guess the profession then one of such job is of a food inspector. A food inspector plays a very important role in the day to day life of a common person. They carry out their operations in the field to make sure that nobody should fall sick by eating adulterated food items.
They make sure that everybody who is selling anything eatable should maintain proper hygiene standards. Food inspectors keep a check on all the possible sources of contamination in food that may put public health in danger. This profession is a perfect fit for those who like to go out to work in the field and for someone who also cares for the health of the common people. So if you are also someone who wants to know how to become a food inspector then you are on the right article.
How to Become Food Inspector? – Eligibility Criteria and Process
So to become a food inspector the candidate has to clear exams conducted by the central and state public service commission. These exams are conducted every year. UPSC also conducts the exam for the recruitment of food inspectors in various offices around the country. This exam is known as the All India Food Inspector exam which is conducted once in a year. You can subscribe to various job portals to know about the vacancies and the exam dates within the food security department.
The first step to becoming a food inspector is to appear for the exam organized by the department. After that, the candidates who manage to make it through the exam can have to appear for the interview, and out of these, the selected candidates are appointed as the food inspector. The process may vary according to notification of exam by the concerned department so make sure to read the notification before applying for the exam.
The candidate applying for the exam has to complete his/her graduation degree in any science stream. All the candidates are also required to have studied chemistry as subjects in their graduation course. Other than that the graduates in medicine who have gone through the training in food inspection are also invited for these types of jobs.
The candidates graduated in Agriculture / Food Technology / Pharmacy /Dairy Technology can also apply for the exams for food inspector. In the end, remember that only the candidates with a degree from a government certified university are allowed to sit in the exam. Although this information is just an overview. You must check the eligibility in the official notification from the government. Then only you should apply for the exam.
The age limit for such jobs is usually 18-42 years but it may vary depending upon the state in which you are applying. Also, many times the upper age limit is relaxed according to the category (OBC/SC/ST) of the candidate. So you should check the notification if there is any reservation in the recruitment or not.
Duties of a Food Inspector
So there are certain duties of a food inspector that he/she has to do. Although most of the duties of a food inspector are related to inspecting the standard of the food for any contamination. But to have a better idea you must read the following point carefully:-
- The food inspector ensures the proper labeling of the food items.
- Inspecting the licensed food manufacturing, storage, or distribution for any irregularity.
- If anybody sends them a complaint then they go investigate it.
- A food inspector can prohibit the sale of any food item which is hazardous to public health. This is done by the prior approval of the local health authority of that area.
- The food inspector can also take the sample of food items that he/she wants to investigate. This is done according to the laws.
There are certain qualities needed in a food inspector that allows him/her to do the work more efficiently. Although there are no such qualities mentioned by the government.
- A candidate should have good communication skills. This is because in this job profile they have to interact with different people on a regular basis. Sometimes they have to use their skills to get the maximum information to prepare a report.
- The candidate applying for the exam should be physically fit since there is a lot of fieldwork in this job profile.
- The candidate should have good observation skills. As in this job you will have to go into various manufacturing or storage units. So it is important to have good observation skills to identify any issue immediately.
- Candidate should have a good focus and concentration on the work. Because when they go for inspections then the people might try to distract them from their work.
Salary of a Food Inspector
Different states give different salaries to food inspectors. But the average salary that a food inspector get is somewhere between Rs.35,000/- to Rs. 40,000/-. This is the initial salary but as the inspector gets promotions then this salary also hiked accordingly. There are food inspectors in the private sectors as well. But we haven’t talked about them much in this article, this article is mainly focused on the government sector only.
For the people looking to work in a department related to public health, this job profile can be a good option. A food inspector has only 25-30% office work and most of the time they have to be in the field to perform their duties. So if you want to pursue it as a career then you have to be mentally and physically prepared for it. And if you are ready for then it is a good career option with a decent salary as well.
On the Daily Trend Express Assam, we try to introduce various types of jobs and career opportunities to you. So if you like what we do here then you can share our content with your friends because that is what keeps us motivating to post such awesome content. You can also check other categories on our website to read some more informative articles there. Thank you…