One of the most popular courses for students after 12th is Merchant Navy. It is one of the most demanding jobs in India. It offers travel experience, management of cargo, adventure, and much more. However, to move along this choice, one will need guidance about merchant navy Jobs after 12th and admission. So, anyone looking for how to join, this article has been prepared to provide complete details that will help you take steps for a brighter future.
The job offers commercial service and defense to the nation. It also plays a big role in international trade as the job also delivers goods. Currently, there are 100s of merchant navy workers associated with cargo carriage and goods delivery internationally.
There are a lot of benefits associated with Merchant Navy jobs after 12th. First, it is a tax-free job. It also offers one NRI status as one gets to work for months out of India.
How To Join Merchant Navy Courses After 12th?
It is the biggest question for many. The answer is simple: one just needs to select the course, join the college, and then apply for the course. Some of the prospective merchant navy courses after 12th science that are available currently are,
- Electro-Technical Officer Course- 17 weeks
- Pre-Sea GP Rating Course, Maritime Catering course- 6 months
- Diploma in Nautical Science- 1 year
- Marine Engineering under Alternate Training Scheme- 1-2 years
- MBA in Shipping Finance- 2 years
- Diploma in Marine Engineering- 1-3 years
- BSc Nautical Science, BSc in Marine Catering, BBA Logistics & Supply Chain Management- 3 years
- BE Civil Engineering, BE Petroleum Engineering, BE Harbour and Ocean Engineering, BE Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering, BE/B.Tech. Marine Engineering, B.E Mechanical Engineering, B.Tech. Ship Building- 4 years
There are also some courses available for students after 10th including, Diploma in Nautical Science. G.P. Rating, and Commercial Driving.
Merchant Navy after 12th- Eligibility Criteria for Job
- Age limit- 17 minimum and 25 maximum.
- Physical fitness certificate from the registered hospital.
- Eyesight- 6/12 (both) and 6/9 better eye.
- Most courses need a 12th pass with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM).
- Indian & unmarried candidate.
- Screening test and writing exam as per job profile.
- After the above interview and the medical test.
- Do short-term course over ship training.
Merchant Navy Courses After 12th- Admission
One can get the admission form from the college website. Some of the admission processes need one to give the MCQ test the questions from subjects like Maths, Chemistry, Physics, English, etc.
There are certain eligibility criteria too which the students are required to fulfill to join the course but note that as there are many courses (Diploma, Certificate course, Undergraduate and Postgraduate) according to which the criteria have been specified below.
- Age limit- 17-25 years
- Courses after 10th need students to have 40% marks in Science, Maths, and English.
- Age limit- 25-28 years (Different Diploma specify different age requirements)
- For a 2-years diploma course, students must pass Diploma in Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Shipbuilding Engineering and Electrical Engineering with 50% marks.
- 10+2 mark sheet- For all major courses like (Deck Cadet)
- Cleared 12th with PCM having 60%
- Age limit- 17-25 years
- MBA- 25-28 years+ GME and a bachelor from authorized university/college
- GME- BE in Mechanical Engineering or the Naval Architecture
Merchant Navy Cargos- Types
The ship employees, they work as per the ranks and the position. There are different cargo types in the merchant Navy and officers are assigned these cargoes for better safety+ delivery. Some of the well-known cargo ships of the Navy are- Bulk carriers, Roll-on and Roll-off Ship, Reeder Ship, LNG carrier, Oil Tanker, or the Chemical Tanker.
Merchant Navy after 12th- Institutes and Colleges
As per their ranking, the list has been mentioned below,
- Indian Maritime College- Chennai
- HIMT College Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training- Chennai
- Coimbatore Marine College- Coimbatore
- College of Maritime Studies and Research- Kolkata
- Indian Maritime University- Mumbai
Some top Merchant Navy Engineering colleges are,
- C.V Raman College of Engineering- Bhubaneshwar
- Kunjali Marakkar School of Marine Engineering of Cochin University of Science and Technology- Kochi
- PSN College of Engineering and Technology
- Euro Tech Maritime Academy
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, etc.
Institute of Merchant Navy in India
Some top Merchant Navy Engineering Institutes are,
- Balaji Seamen Training Institute- Chennai
- Institute of Maritime Studies
- Institute of Marine Engineering- Kochi
- J.Sons Merchant Navy Institute- Mumbai
- Sriram Institute of Marine Studies- New Delhi, etc.
Merchant Navy Courses after 12th Science- Course Fees
With a discussion to colleges and institutes for Merchant Navy, it’s time for moving to fees structure. Well, this job is the dream job for all, and one would want to be in the best college. So, considering it, the below-mentioned will provide the fees structure (approx.) of the courses.
- BSc Nautical Science- INR 8,00,000
- BE Marine Engineering- INR 1,08,2500
- GME- INR 2,65,500
- DME- INR 3,00,600
- B.Tech. Marine Engineering & B.Tech. Nautical Technology- INR 76,500 (per semester)
Merchant Navy- Syllabus
Different courses have different syllabus and subjects. However, some of the common subjects and topics can be seen in all the courses. Some popular subjects that are part of Merchant Navy courses are- Shipping Management, Principle of Navigation, Mechanics of Fluids, Marine Electrical Technology, Marine Auxiliary Machine, STCW & Ship Fire Prevention, etc.
Merchant Navy- Entrance Exam
For anyone interested in merchant navy jobs after 12th, you will have to give the Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test or IMU CET or the All Merchant Navy Entrance Exam (conducted every year). Some other entrance exams are- MERI entrance exam, YIMSAT, JEE, etc. However, to appear in these exams, students must fulfill the below-mentioned criteria.
- 10th Class- GP rating curses
- 12th- PCM with 60% marks
- The application is available online, and with it, one will be required to submit 100 words para showing interest and motive towards Merchant Navy profession.
Merchant Navy- Job Prospects
For ones who completed the 12th and the merchant navy course, you can apply for the vacancy and avail of the benefits. Many consultancies and agencies in India will help you get merchant navy jobs after 12th.
Many vacancies come in cargo ships as there is a huge requirement of prospects, at both experienced and fresher levels. The jobs for merchant navy engineers are also famous job profiles.
Many get confused as to whether Merchant Navy is a private or government job. Well, it is both ways. There are many private shipping companies that work on goods and oil shipments. Even the government owns shipping companies doing the same kind of work. Some well-known Indian shipping companies are- Great Eastern Shipping, Essar & Chowgule Shipping, Shipping Corporation of India, etc.
Some top departments for one to get a job in are- Electrical Officer Engine, Service Department, Deck, Seaman. Merchant Navy jobs are one of the highest paying Indian jobs.
After 12th Merchant Navy Jobs
Some of the well-known jobs are,
- Deck officer
- GP Ratings
- Electro-Technical Officer
- Captain, etc.
Merchant Navy Salary After 12th
The job prospect in this field is high, and youngsters generally get inspired by the salary of the captain or the cook. Believe it, the job does pay well, and the best is that the shipment, cargoes, and carrying ships, they are increasing the employment demand. So, being a fresher Merchant Navy engineer, one can expect a salary of INR 50,000, and with experience, one gets more, the approx. of which has been discussed below.
- Junior Engineer- INR 30,000 pm
- Chief Engineer- INR 1.5 lakhs pm
- Captain- INR 8-20 lakhs pm
- Electrical officer- INR 2-3.5 lakhs pm
- Deck Cadet.- INR 25,000-85,000 pm, etc.
So, if by any means you plan to join Merchant Navy, do not give up.