Food is one of the basic necessities of human beings. We all need food to survive on earth. But in India, there are many households that face difficulties in arranging a two-time meal for their families. This is due to the poor financial condition of those families. Lack of nutritious food can cause greater problems for India as a country. So to address this issue the government of India passed the National Food Security Act (NFSA). Under this act government-issued ration cards to the eligible families. With this card, people can purchase food grains at subsidiary rates from the allocated Public Distribution Shop.
But as you know that there are different states in India. Previously every state and union territory used to issue their own ration card separately. But that system was very old and also had many irregularities. Therefore recently the government has launched the One Nation One Ration Card scheme. This scheme aims to overcome the flaws of the old system.
So in this article, we are going to talk about this scheme. We will discuss the benefits of this scheme, states covered under this scheme, its launch date, and much more. So if you also want to get all that information then make sure to read this article till the end.
One Nation One Ration Card: Overview
The One Nation One Ration Card scheme was launched in May 2020 by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. Actually, this scheme was supposed to be launched in January 2020 but due to the ongoing pandemic, it kept on delaying. Before the national roll-out of this scheme, it was launched as a pilot project in four states in 2019. And when that experiment went successful the scheme was launched on a national level.
Initially, the scheme was only implemented in 12 states across the country. But by March 2021 government aims to implement the scheme in all the states and union territories across India. The existing system of ration cards covers nearly 80 crore people across the country in different states.
Under this scheme, the central government has decided on a particular format for the ration card. People all over the country will have the ration card with a similar format. This new system of ration cards mainly deploys the technology for food distribution and portability of the existing ration cards.
What is the One Nation One Ration Card Scheme?
So now let’s discuss the main motive behind launching such a scheme. If we already have a distribution system that was working fine then what’s the need for this new system? For the answer to this question, we need to under the old ration distribution system. Actually, in the old system, the ration cards are issued separately by each state and union territory. Each ration card is linked to a particularly fair price shop in the locality from where the family can purchase the subsidized ration.
But there is a problem in this system suppose if a person lives in Gwalior district in M.P. and have his/her ration card linked to a fair price shop in the same locality. But due to some reason, he/she had to shift to the Kota district of Rajasthan. Now he/she will not be able to take a subsidized ration card.
Actually, this scenario happens with most of the migrant workers in the country. But with help of the new ration card under “One Nation One Ration” the beneficiaries will be able to get subsidized ration from any fair price shop in the country. Apart from that, there are many other benefits of the scheme. This is possible due to the implementation of the latest technology.
Benefits of One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC)
Following are some of the benefits of ONORC:-
1. The new ration card can be used on any fair price shop across the nation to get the ration. This scheme is very beneficial for the migrant workers who live far from their homes.
2. ONORC gives the right to the consumer to choose the dealer of their choice. According to the latest system if any dealer misbehaves with the consumer then they have the freedom to choose any other dealer. In the previous system, consumers had to stick to one dealer no matter what.
3. The One Nation One Ration Card scheme uses technology to identify the ration card beneficiary at the fair price shop. This way it makes the ration distribution more efficient and transparent. Because there are many distributors in the country who sell food grains in the black market in the absence of actual beneficiaries.
4. With the new setup most of the people will be able to get their share of ration in any part of the country. This will help the country to achieve its goal of ending hunger and providing nutritious food to the people.
5. Previously every state had its own format of ration card. But now there will be single formate for ration cards all over the country. The state governments will issue the ration cards in a bilingual format. In which besides the local language the other language can be Hindi or English.
There are no new eligibility criteria for the One Nation One Ration Card scheme. The people who have a ration card and declared Below Poverty Line (BPL) will be eligible to get all the benefits of a One Nation Ration Card. Apart from that, there is even no need to get a new ration card your old one will be able to get the job done for you. It is only just your data that will be transferred to a new system and you will have to do nothing in it.
There is no doubt that this scheme is a very good initiative for the welfare of poor people. But still, it has various challenges in its way such as logistic problems, lack of data, etc. If the authorities manage to get rid of these problems and execute the scheme properly then it will surely help the needy people. So this was all the important information related to the One Nation One Ration Card scheme. If you like this article then feel free to share it with your friends.